O Lord, open our lips;
And our mouth shall proclaim your praise.
God ever reigns on high.
O come, let us worship.
- Arise O God and let your enemies be scattered:
let those who hate you flee before you.
- As smoke vanishes before the wind, and as wax melts in the fire:
so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.
- But let the righteous be glad and exult before God:
let them rejoice with exceeding joy.
- Sing praises to God's holy name:
make a highway for the one who rides on the clouds,
whose name is the Lord, in whose presence exult.
- Guardian of orphans and protector of widows:
such are you O God in your holy dwelling-place.
- You give the lonely a home to live in,
and lead out the prisoners into prosperity:
but the rebellious must live in the wasteland.
- O God when you went out at the head of your people:
when you marched across the wilderness,
- the earth quaked, the heavens poured down rain:
before God the Lord of Sinai,
before God the Lord most high.
- You sent down a generous rain O God:
to refresh the wilting land of your possession.
- There your people found a home:
which in your goodness you provided for the poor.
- The Lord gave the word:
and great was the company of those who carried the news,
- Kings with their armies are in headlong flight:
the women at home are di'viding the spoil.
- You lingered among the sheepfolds:
but Israel is like a dove, its wings covered with silver,
and its feathers shining with gold.
- When the Almighty scattered kings:
it was like snowflakes falling ·upon Mount Zalmon.
- A mighty mountain is the mountain of Bashan:
the mountain of Bashan is a mountain of many peaks.
- O mountain of many peaks,
why do you look with envy
at the mountain where God has chosen to dwell:
and where the Lord will live for ever?
- The chariots of God are twenty thousand,
indeed thousands upon thousands:
you O Lord have come from Sinai into your holy place.
- You have gone up on high, leading captives with you:
and receiving tribute, even from among the rebellious,
that you might dwell among them.
The Armour of God
grant us your wisdom and favour,
give us the grace to cast off the works of darkness
and put on the full armour of God,
now in the time of this mortal life,
Place on us the belt of truth, because you are the way,
and the truth and the life,
the breastplate of righteousness,
because we have no righteousness of our own,
but you became our righteousness on the cross.
Place on us shoes of the Gospel of peace
that we miss no opportunity to share your love with others.
Put on us the shield of faith,
that the fiery darts of the enemy do not harm us in any way.
Put on us the helmet of salvation,
that our minds be protected and renewed daily in You.
Put on us the sword of the Spirit,
which is the word of God;
and may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Love of God
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit
be with us all for ever more.