- Lord you have searched me out and known me:
you know when I sit down and when I stand up,
you discern my thoughts from afar.
- You mark my path, and the places where I rest:
you are acquainted with all my ways.
- Even before there is a word on my tongue:
You Lord know it altogether.
- You guard me from behind and before:
and cover me with your hand.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me:
so high that I cannot attain to it.
- Where shall I go from your spirit:
or where shall I flee from your presence?
- If I climb up to heaven you are there:
if I make my bed in the grave you are there also.
- If I take the wings of the dawn:
and alight at the uttermost parts of the sea,
- even there your hand will lead me:
and your right hand will hold me fast.
- If I say 'Let the darkness cover me;
and my day be turned to night,'
- the darkness is no darkness with you,
but the night is as clear as the day:
for darkness and light to you are both alike.
- It was you that created my inward parts:
and put them together in my mother's womb.
- I will praise you, for you are awesome and wonderful:
marvellous are your works, and you know me through and through.
- My body was not hidden from you:
when I was being fashioned in secret,
and woven together in the depths of the earth.
- You eyes looked at my body:
while it was as yet imperfectly formed.
- In your book all the days of my life were written:
while as yet there was not one of them.
- How deep are your thoughts O God:
and how great is the sum of them.
- If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand:
to finish the count, my life-span must needs be equal to yours.
- O that you would kill the wicked, O God,
and the bloodthirsty would depart from me -
- those who speak of you maliciously,
and lift themselves up against you for evil!
- Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?
And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
- I hate them with perfect hatred:
I count them my enemies.
- Examine me O God and know my heart:
test me, and discover my thoughts.
- Watch closely, lest I follow a path of error:
and lead me in the way everlasting.
We praise you for your love in coming to us,
unworthy though we are.
Give us grace to accept the Christ who comes in your name,
and the courage to be Christ for others;
through the Word made flesh,
even Jesus Christ our Lord . . .
Thank Him for 3 things that happened today (Good or Not!)
give us today our daily bread.
God of seed and growth and harvest,
creator of need, creator of satisfaction;
give us, we pray, our daily bread,
sufficient and assured for all.
Give us also, we pray, the bread of life,
and we shall have a care to feed the hungry,
and to seek for peace and justice in the world.
Help us, then, to remember and to know
that you are our life today and every day;
you are the food we need, now and for ever.