- But for all this they went on sinning:
and despite your wonders they did not believe.
- So you made their days vanish like a breath:
and ended their years in calamity.
- When you struck them down, they would seek you:
they would repent and earnestly look for you.
- They would remember that you were their rock:
and that God most high was their redeemer.
- But such words on their lips were but flattery:
and their tongues were speaking lies.
- For their heart was not steadfast towards you:
nor were they faithful to your covenant.
- But in your mercy you forgave their misdeeds:
and did not utterly destroy them.
- Many a time you turned your wrath away:
and did not let your anger rise to its full height.
- For you remembered that they were but mortal:
like a wind that passes and never returns.
O God, who in the work of creation
commanded the light to shine out of darkness:
we pray that the light of the glorious gospel of Christ
may shine into the hearts of all your people,
dispelling the darkness of ignorance and unbelief
and revealing to them the knowledge of your glory
in the face of Jesus Christ our Lord . . .
Thank Him for 3 things that happened today (Good or Not!)
give us today our daily bread
God of seed and growth and harvest,
creator of need, creator of satisfaction
give us, we pray, our daily bread,
sufficient and assured for all.
Give us also, we pray, the bread of life,
and we shall have a care to feed the hungry,
and to seek for peace and justice in the world.
Help us, then, to remember and to know
that you are our life today and every day;
you are the food we need, now and for ever.
May Christ the King give us his blessing of peace.