- For he did not remember to show kindness:
but pursued the poor and needy
and the broken-hearted to their death.
- He loved to curse; let curses come on him.
He did not like blessing; may it be far from him.
- He clothed himself with cursing as his coat:
may it soak into his body like water,
like oil into his bones.
- May it be like a garment that he wraps around himself,
like a belt that he wears every day.’
- May that be the reward of my accusers from the Lord,
of those who speak evil against my life.
- But you, O Lord my Lord,
act on my behalf for your name’s sake:
because your steadfast love is good, deliver me.
- For I am poor and needy,
and my heart is pierced within me.
- I am gone like a shadow at evening:
I am shaken off like a locust.
- My knees are weak through fasting;
my body has become gaunt.
- I am an object of scorn to my accusers;
when they see me,
they shake their heads.
- Help me O Lord my God:
save me in your steadfast love,
- that all may know this is your doing:
and that you alone O Lord have done it.
- They may curse, but you will bless:
my assailants will be put to shame,
and your servant will rejoice.
- Let my accusers be clothed with dishonour:
let them be covered in shame as with a cloak.
- As for me, loud thanks to the Lord are on my lips:
I will praise the Lord in the midst of the throng.
- For the Lord stands at the right hand of the poor:
to save from death those unjustly condemned.
O God, who in the work of creation
commanded the light to shine out of darkness:
we pray that the light of the glorious gospel of Christ
may shine into the hearts of all your people,
dispelling the darkness of ignorance and unbelief
and revealing to them the knowledge of your glory
in the face of Jesus Christ our Lord . . .
Thank Him for 3 things that happened today (Good or Not!)
your kingdom come
on earth as in heaven.
Look down, Lord, from your heavenly throne.
Illuminate the darkness of this night
with your celestial brightness,
and from us, the children of light,
banish for ever the deeds of darkness.
May Christ the King give us his blessing of peace.