O Lord, open our lips;
And our mouth shall proclaim your praise.
God ever reigns on high.
O come, let us worship.
- Why are the nations in turmoil and why are the peoples
engaged in futile plotting?
- The kings of the earth arise,
and the rulers take counsel together:
against the Lord and against the Lord's anointed king.
- Let us break their fetters they say:
and let us cast off their chains.
- The one whose throne is in heaven laughs them to scorn:
the Lord has them in derision.
- Then you speak to them in your wrath:
and terrify them in your fury.
- I myself set up my king:
upon my holy hill
- I will recite the decree of the Lord:
who has said to me, 'You are my son,
today have I become your father.
- Ask, and I will give you the nations for your inheritance:
and the ends of the earth for your possession.
- You shall crush them with a rod of iron:
and break them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
- Now therefore you kings be wise:
be prudent, you rulers of the earth.
- Serve the Lord with fear:
and with trembling bow down before the Most High.
- lest the Lord be angry,
and you perish for God's anger is quickly kindled:
blessed are all who put their trust in the Lord.
The Armour of God
grant us your wisdom and favour,
give us the grace to cast off the works of darkness
and put on the full armour of God,
now in the time of this mortal life,
Place on us the belt of truth, because you are the way,
and the truth and the life,
the breastplate of righteousness,
because we have no righteousness of our own,
but you became our righteousness on the cross.
Place on us shoes of the Gospel of peace
that we miss no opportunity to share your love with others.
Put on us the shield of faith,
that the fiery darts of the enemy do not harm us in any way.
Put on us the helmet of salvation,
that our minds be protected and renewed daily in You.
Put on us the sword of the Spirit,
which is the word of God;
and may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Love of God
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit
be with us all for ever more.