thank you for all that is good,
for our creation and for our humanity,
for the gifts of life and of one another,
for your love which is unbounded and eternal.
for the food before us,
the family and friends beside us
and the love between us.
- But for all this they went on sinning:
and despite your wonders they did not believe.
- So you made their days vanish like a breath:
and ended their years in calamity.
- When you struck them down, they would seek you:
they would repent and earnestly look for you.
- They would remember that you were their rock:
and that God most high was their redeemer.
- But such words on their lips were but flattery:
and their tongues were speaking lies.
- For their heart was not steadfast towards you:
nor were they faithful to your covenant.
- But in your mercy you forgave their misdeeds:
and did not utterly destroy them.
- Many a time you turned your wrath away:
and did not let your anger rise to its full height.
- For you remembered that they were but mortal:
like a wind that passes and never returns.
Eternal Spirit, living God,
in whom we live and move and have our being,
all that we are, have been, and shall be is known to you,
to the very secret of our hearts
and all that rises to trouble us.
Living flame burn into us,
cleansing wind, blow through us,
fountain of water, well up within us,
that we may love and praise in deed and in truth.