Our Sovereign and Saviour draws near:
O come, let us worship.
- Those who go down to the sea in ships:
and ply their trade on great waters,
- they have seen your works O Lord:
and the wonders you do in the deep.
- At your command the stormy wind arose:
and lifted up the waves.
- They were carried up to the sky,
and down again to the depths:
their courage melted away in their peril.
- They reeled to and fro, and staggered as if drunken:
their seafaring skill was utterly without avail.
- Then they cried to you O Lord in their trouble:
and you rescued them from their distress.
- You made the storm be still:
and the roaring waves were hushed.
- Then they were glad because it was calm:
and so you brought them to the harbour
where they had longed to be.
- Let them thank you O Lord for your steadfast love:
for the wonders that you do for us.
- Let them extol you in the assembly of the people:
and praise you in the council of elders.
The Armour of God
grant us your wisdom and favour,
give us the grace to cast off the works of darkness
and put on the full armour of God,
now in the time of this mortal life,
Place on us the belt of truth, because you are the way,
and the truth and the life,
the breastplate of righteousness,
because we have no righteousness of our own,
but you became our righteousness on the cross.
Place on us shoes of the Gospel of peace
that we miss no opportunity to share your love with others.
Put on us the shield of faith,
that the fiery darts of the enemy do not harm us in any way.
Put on us the helmet of salvation,
that our minds be protected and renewed daily in You.
Put on us the sword of the Spirit,
which is the word of God;
and may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Love of God
and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit
be with us all for ever more.